This blog post can contain affiliate links. This means that, at no additional cost to you, I may receive a commission if you click through and make a purchase. Please note that I only recommend products and services that I personally use and trust.
Working from home seems to be the thing right now. And why it shouldn’t be? It’s a privilege to be able to work in your pajamas and enjoy the freedom it gives you.
So, how can you create a peaceful home office so that you can enjoy your freedom?
The easiest way to create a peaceful home office is to create a dedicated space that is clutter-free, has the right light intensity, and has some green to relieve stress. You can also add your desk near a window that will enhance your mood.
That being said, let’s see all the steps that you need to focus on to be able to create the perfect home office.
How To Create A Peaceful Home Office
1. Find The Right Spot
The first crucial step to creating a peaceful home office is to find a spot that has the potential to become your perfect home office.
For instance, a spot near a window will be a perfect spot to set up your home office.
You should avoid putting your desk where you will face a wall. This is because a desk that is facing a wall is prone to bring more stress and anxiety.
And I am sure you don’t want to go through that, right?
That being said, let’s look at two setups and see which one feels more peaceful.
First, let’s see a setup for your desk facing a wall:
Now let’s look at another setup where your desk is facing a window:
As you can see, when your desk is facing a window, it looks more peaceful.
I know many people will suggest you put your desk facing a wall. But I don’t agree with that.
If you are still not convinced, have a look at my full guide where I explain all the benefits of having your desk near a window.
2. Arrange Your Desk So That It Looks Very Clean
To have a peaceful environment, you must make sure that your desk and surrounding looks very neat and clean.
The state of your desk will be the state of your mind. A clean desk will help you focus more on your tasks and it will also help you become more creative.
Here are a few things that you can do to make sure that your workspace is clutter-free:
- Put all your to-do lists and notes online. This will also help you to access them through your mobile devices.
- Put away stuff that you don’t need away from your desk. For instance, you can keep all your files separate from your desk.
Here is an example of a clean desk:
3. Make Your Desk Functional And Easy To Use
The next step is to arrange your desk in a way that makes your life easier. What I mean by that is everything that you need should be within your reach.
1- Use a small wooden box or bowl that can hold all your paper clips, elastics, and any small accessories that you might have.
2- Use a pen holder or a beautiful mug to hold your pens and pencil.
3- Keep your tissue paper in your drawer, preferably to the right side.
4- Make sure that your monitor is straight so that you don’t add any additional pressure on your neck.
5- Use a small wooden box to put on your feet so that when you are sitting your legs makes a 90% angle.
6- Put a picture of any motivational quote or your dream house to keep you motivated.
7- Having pictures of your loved ones will also help you to remain calm and peaceful. So don’t forget to add a small picture frame to your desk.
4. Add Some Green To Your Surrounding
Having some green plants can boost your mood and reduce stress and they will also produce more oxygen which will enhance your focus.
The more oxygen you have, the more you will be able to work. On the other hand, if you have less oxygen in your room, you will feel drowsy.
Now whenever you need a break from your work, you can interact with your plants which can enhance your mood.
Interacting with nature has been proved to relieve stress and anxiety.
5. Optimize Your Space
According to Feng Shui, there are treasures for an optimal environment. They are:
Your goal should be to use all these 3 treasures and build an optimal home office.
There are a few things that you can do to achieve that:
- Introduce plants (discussed above) that will absorb excess electrical energy, freshen the air and connect you with nature.
- Introducing earth elements like rocks or shells can help you stay in touch with earth elements.
- Disconnect any appliances or electronics that you are not using.
- Keep a bottle of water near your desk.
- Keep your window open so that you can breathe fresh air.
- Let sunlight rays hit your desk and plants. This will bring more positive vibes.
6. Try Aromatherapy
Aromatherapy has more benefits than you can imagine. It is vital to give it a try since you will be working from home.
If you don’t know what Aromatherapy is then let me give you a short description.
Aromatherapy is a healing treatment that uses natural plant extracts to promote health and well-being. It enhances both physical and emotional health.
Some ways to effectively use aromatherapy are through:
- Aromatic Spritzers
- Body oils, creams, or lotions
- Facial steamers
- And clay masks
Now, here are some benefits that you will get if you try Aromatherapy:
- It helps to manage pain.
- It improves sleep quality.
- It reduces stress, anxiety, and agitation.
- It treats headaches and migraines.
- It boosts immunity.
So go ahead and try it.
You will see a massive difference in your overall state of mind. Maybe Aromatherapy will give your home office the peace you were looking for.
7. Make Your Home Office As Comfortable As You Can
Comfort is a prerequisite when it comes to creativity and productivity.
Here are a few ways to make your home office more comfortable:
- Use an ergonomic chair.
- Use a comfortable pillow as it will make a massive difference to your back and shoulders.
- Place your screen and keyword in the center of your table.
- Make sure that your room temperature is optimal (around 25 degrees Celsius).
- Make sure that you have enough light in your room. Working in a room that is either too bright or too dark will be detrimental to your eyes, and can make you feel agitated.
8. Remove Yourself From Distraction
Working in a silent room is crucial as constant noises can increase your stress level. Also when you are working in complete silence, you will be able to achieve FLOW more easily, which can drastically increase the overall quality of your work.
Here are a few things that you can do:
- If ever there is constant noise from your neighbors or family members, buy noise-blocking headphones or try waking up early and doing your most important task. Or you can also work after 10 pm when everyone will be in bed.
- Turn off all notifications on your phone or computer. This is something that will eat your productivity.
- You can also listen to music if that works for you. Depending on the type of work you are doing, sometimes music can give you a boost in creativity.
Final Thoughts: How To Create A Peaceful Home Office
As you can see, creating your own peaceful home office is not that complicated. It’s really simple and easy.
But before you start to build your home office, make sure to choose the right color combination so that it matches your overall environment.
I hope this blog post has given you enough insight so that you can build your own little home office.
See you soon!