If you are new to this blog, I am more than happy that you stopped by.
Though I would like to give you a clear-cut answer, the truth is you must first know the purpose of your blog posts.
I know it sounds kind of boring.
What is your final goal for your content?
- Do you want a higher ranking from Google?
- Or do you want more social shares?
- Or do you want more lead generation from your blog posts?
Based on your final goal, you can determine the perfect length of your blog content.
As you go through your online research you will often come across two types of people.
Type one: the longer your content, the better it will perform.
Type two: short blog posts perform better.
Who do you listen to?
Well, you listen to me of course.
First, let’s see the ideal length for content that helps you to get a higher ranking on Google.
- How to use Google keyword planner to find the best keywords
- 16 SEO tips for beginners to get more traffic from Google
- 1. The ideal length of a blog post for SEO
- 2. The ideal length of a blog post for more social shares
- 3. The ideal length of a blog post for lead generation
- 4. The ideal length of a blog post for pillar content
- 5. The ideal length of a blog post for Listicles
- 6. The ideal length for How to blog posts
- Final Thoughts: The ideal length of a blog post in 2021
1. The ideal length of a blog post for SEO
Google loves long and in-depth content. Content that is between 2,100 to 2,500 words gets a higher ranking on Google Search Engine.
But that doesn’t mean that all your blog posts should be more than 2,100 words.
This is because not all blog posts need 2,100 words to provide in-depth information.
Also, just publishing content with 2,100+ words doesn’t guarantee you will get a higher ranking.
You can even get a high ranking with 1,500 words.
The trick is :
- The choice of keywords. If you chose high competition keywords, you will have a hard time even getting on the first page of Google. So, the ideal strategy will be to choose low competition keywords.
- The way you structure your blog posts. This is where many new bloggers get it wrong.
- Proper internal linking. Linking your old posts to your new ones and vice versa.
- External linking to useful information to help your readers.
- Adding alt-text to your images. Especially your featured images
- Adding rich media content to your post (Images and videos).
- Creating content consistently.
It’s really that simple.
I am sure you will want more social shares for your blog posts. This will not only increase your odds of getting traffic, but it will also help you to build authority.
Though I cannot provide any proof, I believe that the number of shares will help a post to get a higher ranking.
Here is a detailed article from Neil Patel concerning social media and SEO which I believe will help you.
That being said, if you want more social shares, you can try to write blog posts between 800-1200 words.
To increase your chance of getting more social shares, pay attention to your post’s title, the quality of the content, and the use of high-quality pictures to entice readers to interact with your content.
- How to use Twitter to promote your blog for free
- How to use Pinterest to drive traffic to your blog
- Pinterest manual pinning strategy for more traffic
3. The ideal length of a blog post for lead generation
Many new bloggers have a tendency to focus on blog posts that get the most traffic. Though traffic is good for your blog, it doesn’t mean that those posts will be best to generate leads.
Often, you will notice that posts that bring the most traffic are quite generic and are usually searched by a wider audience.
Therefore, to be able to capture more leads, you should be very strategic with your content creation process.
You must understand that the purpose of some of your content will be to generate traffic while some will be targeted to capture leads.
Having a combination of both is crucial for long term success.
The ideal length of a blog post to capture leads is around 2,500 words. In other words, the more in-depth your content is, the more likely you will be able to generate leads.
Creating high-quality content that demonstrates your knowledge and authority on a particular topic will help people to trust you more.
Also, you will notice that very specific keywords, which target a very specific audience tend to capture more leads.
For instance, if you create a post on how to make money with blogging, it will generate a lot of traffic. But it doesn’t mean people will sign in with your newsletter. They are just searching for information. The keywords are broad and not specific.
If you create a post on “How to start a WordPress blog“, your audience already knows that they want to start a blog. The purpose of the content is to help them start their blog by providing an easy and in-depth guide.
You can also include affiliate links (Hosting company) which will perform better on this type of post.
If they used your content to create their blog, it means they find your content easy to read and fun.
If you include a simple call-to-action at the end of the post, they will be more likely to provide their email address so that you can help them further in their blogging journey.
4. The ideal length of a blog post for pillar content
The ideal length of pillar content is around 4,000 words. This is because pillar contents need to cover more than your regular blog posts.
Usually, your pillar content will contain in-depth information on a specific topic that is broken down into many pieces or subtopics.
5. The ideal length of a blog post for Listicles
Listicles or list blog posts are very popular as they bring a lot of traffic to your blog.
The ideal length for these posts is between 2,200 up to 2,500.
If ever you are really struggling to bring traffic to your blog using conventional keywords, try to create more lists posts.
Now the amount of ideas you will put in listicles is up to you.
But ask yourself a simple question.
It’s a matter of personal choice.
But usually the more ideas or examples you give in your lists post, the better it tends to perform.
But you should also not forget that the top 10 listicles do really very well on search engines and social media.
6. The ideal length for How to blog posts
I like writing “How to” blog posts. It’s fun and tends to perform well on social media and search engines.
The ideal length of your “How to” blog posts can be between 1,500 up to 2,000 words.
But, you can also create “How to” blog posts that contain only 800 words.
This boils down to how difficult it is for you to explain the topic. For example, I have a blog post on “How to claim your website on Pinterest“. The length of that blog post is around 900 words.
900 words were enough to provide all the details required.
Also, if I am not mistaken, it’s the only blog post that has less than 1,200 words on my blog.
The point here is not to stick to any rule and try to create the best content irrespective of the number of words.
Final Thoughts: The ideal length of a blog post in 2021
I wanted to clarify something that I think is very important, especially if you are new to blogging.
Do not try to figure out everything.
The simple and most effective way to understand something is by doing it.
What is working for me, doesn’t necessarily mean it will work for you. You might attract a type of audience who likes to read your content irrespective of the number of words.
By being yourself, you increase your odds of getting success with your blog.
That being said, some free resources can help you understand blogging better:
- Painful struggles of a blogger-No one admit
- Incredibly Useful Writing Tools For Bloggers
- 10 Harsh truth about blogging
- 17 Crucial things to know before starting your blog
If you liked this post, please don’t forget to share it so that others can benefit from it.
See you soon!