This blog post can contain affiliate links. This means that, at no additional cost to you, I may receive a commission if you click through and make a purchase. Please note that I only recommend products and services that I personally use and trust.
As the world becomes increasingly digital, more and more people are turning to freelance as a way to make a living. One of the most popular platforms for freelance work is Fiverr, which connects businesses and individuals with skilled professionals from around the world.
For writers, Fiverr can offer a wealth of opportunities to build their portfolios, gain experience, and earn money.
But is Fiverr really a good platform for writers?
You have a possibility of earning a respectable income per hour if you are a skilled writer. The decision to work on Fiverr has both benefits and drawbacks. It is feasible to make money, but it takes a lot of work. If you do it, be sure you are capable of handling the challenge!
Overview of the freelance writing industry
Not long ago, if you wanted to get into the world of freelance writing, you would need to invest in expensive software and expensive training, and you would have to compete with other freelancers for jobs.
Luckily, in the digital age, things have changed. There are now many ways to enter the freelance writing industry even if you’re just starting out. Whether you want to write for magazines, corporate blogs, or your own blog, you can do it with relative ease and low cost.
The best way to find freelance writing jobs is to start networking and looking online. You can look at job boards, reach out to businesses you can help with, apply to freelance marketplaces, and more. Once you begin to make connections and build your network, you’ll start to get offers and more job opportunities will come your way.
Advantages of Fiverr for writers
1. Access to a large pool of potential clients: One of the main advantages of Fiverr for writers is access to a large pool of potential clients. You can browse a wide range of projects that require writing services and find ones that suit your needs and interests.
By joining Fiverr, you also open yourself up to the global job market, such as jobs from different countries. You can see upfront what type of projects and tasks would best fit your skills, and apply for them.
2. Opportunity to set your own rates and choose your own clients: Another advantage is the ability to set your own rates and choose your own clients. On Fiverr, you have the freedom to decide the rates you charge, and choose who you want to work with.
You can decide what type of projects you feel comfortable writing, and how much time and effort you want to put into them. You can also check reviews from previous customers to make an informed decision on who to work with.
3. Flexibility to work from anywhere: Fiverr also offers great flexibility to work from anywhere. You can work on projects whenever you want and wherever you want, as long as you meet the deadlines. You can also take vacations when you need to and work at your own pace. This is a great benefit for those who want to travel and work on the go.
4. Ability to build your portfolio and gain experience: The platform also provides great opportunities to build your portfolio and gain experience. You can showcase your work and skills to an international audience, as well as to individuals hiring for specific projects.
5. Support and resources available on the platform: Finally, Fiverr provides an abundance of support and resources available on the platform. From forums to community groups, there are plenty of resources at your disposal to help you succeed. You can find valuable feedback from experienced writers and advice from experts, to help you get the most out of your Fiverr experience.
Disadvantages of Fiverr for writers
1. Competition From Other Writers on the Platform: Fiverr is becoming increasingly competitive among writers. With the platform available to so many, it can be difficult to stand out and book jobs.
Many clients may have hundreds of proposals to choose from, making it tough to attract attention. As a result, writers often have to lower their rates to stand out, which can lead to both financial and moral strain.
2. Difficulty in Establishing a Steady Stream of Work: Fiverr doesn’t always guarantee regular work, making it hard to rely on it as a sole source of income. This can be discouraging for many, especially for those trying to make a full-time living as freelance writers.
To get a steady stream of work, you may need to build a professional portfolio outside of Fiverr and invest in professional branding and marketing.
3. Limitations on Earning Potential Due to Fees and Commissions: Fiverr takes a 20% cut of each project covered through its platform. This percentage gets higher depending on the cost of the project and the payment methods used. Additionally, depending on the country you’re working in, Fiverr may also deduct Value-Added Tax (VAT), which also affects profits. Considering these fees, writers may not always be able to maximize their earning potential on Fiverr.
Related: How Fiverr Algorithm Works-Guideline To Rank Your Gig
Tips for succeeding on Fiverr as a writer
1. Create a strong profile that showcases your skills and experience: Make sure to include relevant information and experiences that show potential clients why you’re the ideal choice. Add a professional headshot to give clients a personal connection, include samples of your best work, and provide any certifications or qualifications you have. Once your profile is complete, double-check everything to make sure it looks exactly as you want.
Related: How To Create A Good Fiverr Profile(With Examples)
2. Be selective in choosing your clients and projects: Not all Fiverr gigs are created equal, so use the information on a client’s profile to decide whether to take on the project or not. If you’re new to Fiverr, you may not be able to be as picky when choosing which projects to go after. However, once you have more established experience, you can afford to be choosier with your clients and projects. Make sure you understand the scope of the project and the client’s expectations before agreeing to it.
3. Communicate clearly and professionally with clients: Good communication is key to a successful client relationship. Respond to messages promptly, be sure to confirm deadlines, and clarify expectations up-front. Keeping open and honest communication throughout the project is an important way to avoid misunderstandings and conflicts.
4. Set realistic expectations for your rates and workload: Be clear about how much each project will cost and how long it will take to finish. If a project requires more of your time and expertise than you’ve estimated, let your client know to avoid any surprises down the line.
Additionally, it’s important to set a reasonable workload for yourself. Don’t book more gigs than you can handle in the allotted time or you may risk lowering the quality of your work.
5. Continuously market yourself and seek out new opportunities: The competition on Fiverr makes it important to stay active and push yourself to look for new opportunities. Use social media and other strategies to promote yourself and your services.
Make sure to stay on top of the changes in Fiverr and the freelance world, and set areas of growth or improvement for yourself. Working on Fiverr takes dedication and an entrepreneurial mindset – the more time you put in, the higher the rewards will be.
Conclusion: Is Fiverr Good For Writers?
Fiverr is a great platform for writers looking to take on freelance jobs and make some extra cash. With a wide range of services to choose from, flexible payment terms, and an intuitive dashboard that makes managing tasks a breeze.
Fiverr is an excellent choice for writers who want to capitalize on the gig economy. The platform offers an array of perks that writers of all levels can benefit from, making it an ideal place to start a side hustle.